Sunday, January 18, 2009

A "Good Jake":

Gentlemen,
We've all heard about the tragic death of a local firefighter recently.

This is an article that the Chag-stress showed me the other day and said you should put that on the blog.

The last paragraph of the article talks about what firefighters call each other when they are the best of the best (a.k.a. quality cats).

If you're not up to reading the entire article here is the last paragraph:

"We have a term in the Fire Department, and it's not used for everyone," Mitchell said. "It's given by the guys who were in the trenches with you. It says, yeah, he knows what he's doing, he'll take care of me, he'll come for me if I'm trapped. The term is simply, 'He's a good Jake.' And I'm telling you: He was a good Jake."

This reminds me of those great last lines of the movie Good Fellas:

"You know, we always called each other good fellas. Like you said to, uh, somebody,: You're gonna like this guy. He's all right. He's a good fella. He's one of us"

A good Jake indeed.

Also, check out this website to purchase 'Good Jake' apparel including hats, t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets etc. I'll have to check with my co-coordinator but we may have a requirement at this year's Jake to dawn at least one of the items these guys sell (women's underwear does not count Heff!).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home